Kuala Lumpur Bird Park
Kuala Lumpur Bird Park was opened to the public in 1991 and is reputed to be the "World's Largest Free-flight Walk-in Aviary" in the city of Kuala Lumpur. This park is located at the Lake Garden and there are many other attractions here. Plan to spend two to three hours here and learn more about the many species of birds here. This park has an area of 21 acres where over 3,000 birds of 200 local and foreign species live.
Some of the information that will be of use while you are here include:
- Hornbill Park is located to the left of the main entrance as you walk towards the Amphitheater for the Bird Show. Here, you will be able to see a varieties of hornbills. The largest hornbill species in the world is the Rhinoceros Hornbill.
- World Of Parrots is located just after the Hornbill Park. This small aviary has a collection of many species of parrots such as cockatoos, parkeets, lories and macaws. You can take photos while feeding the parrots here for RM2. You will not regret coming here as there are many colorful and beautiful parrots living here.
- Bird Show is one event that you should not miss. There are two shows per day at 12:30pm and 3:30pm at the Amphitheater which is located at the far left end of the park. If it is a public holiday, there will be an additional show at 10:30am to cater for the higher number of visitors coming here. This show will last for 30 minutes and most of the parrots and eagles will be showing their skills together with their trainers. Children will love this show. This Amphitheater has a seating capacity of 400 people and the show is free of charge.
- Bird Gallery and Education Station are indoor exhibits that provide more information on the life cycle of the birds. Incubators with live eggs and chicks are being bred here. You will also learn that the ostrich lays the largest egg in the world with a length of 6.8 inches and diameter of 5.4 inches. The Vervian Hummingbirdlays the smallest egg in the world where the length of the egg is less than 10mm.
Signage welcoming you to the park
See the colourful birds here.
The well maintained pavement as you enter Kuala Lumpur Bird Park.
- Flamingo Pond has many Flamingos resting at this man-made waterfall. The stork can also be seen here.
- Souvenirs can be purchased at the Peacock and Hornbill Gift Shop. T-Shirts, key chains, fridge magnets, caps, mugs, toys and a varieties of goods are available for you to browse and purchase.
- Bird Feeding such as Lories, Ostrich, Eagles, Hornbills and free flying birds are done throughout the day. Look out for the free roaming birds such as pheasants, storks and peacocks.
The colourful parrots at the World of Parrots Aviary.
Take photographs with the parrots here as a momento of your visit to this park.
The Amphitheater with a seating capacity of 400 people. This is the location of the daily Bird Show.
The bird eggs exhibit at the Gallery
Getting to Kuala Lumpur Bird Park
Take the RapidKL Bus No. B115 from Kotaraya to Jalan Parlimen and disembark.
You can also take the Komuter Train and disembark at Kuala Lumpur Station. You will need to walk 15-20 minutes from here to reach the park.
If you are driving, the GPS coordinates to Kuala Lumpur Bird Park is N03° 08.615' E101° 41.321'.
KL Bird Park
920, Jalan Cenderawasih
Taman Tasik Perdana
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +6 03 2272 1010
Operation Hours Admission Fee
Daily from 9:00am to 6:00pm including public holidays.
Malaysian with MyKad
Adults : RM27.00
Children : RM13.00
Adults : RM50.00
Children : RM41.00
Look out for the free roaming stork.
Kuala Lumpur Accommodation
Most visitors will do a day trip to the zoo and stay at one of the hotels in Kuala Lumpur. Being the capital of Malaysia means that there are a wide range of budget, boutique and luxury hotels available for you to choose from.
Check and compare Kuala Lumpur hotels rates here.